THE RACE TO ZERO PROJECT
The ASTARA TEAM has set itself the target of monitoring, reducing and offsetting its carbon footprint in the Dakar Rally 2022, in order to become the first team to achieve a zero balance at the end of its participation.
The project started off for the team with the firm commitment to become a real reference in terms of sustainability applied to motorsport, a very demanding ecosystem regarding to performance.
ASTARA TEAM´s driver Oscar Fuertes is perfectly aware of the whole concept: “Motorsport must be sustainable like the rest of the activities of the human being. Our goal is not so much to develop cutting-edge technology, a task more oriented to works teams supported by big car manufacturers. We intend to be one more actor, but one that can take a very important role and help the transition of our sport towards sustainability.”
Sustainability, as a principle, is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the capacity of future generations, ensuring the balance between economic growth, care for the environment and social welfare. Therefore, from our team we understand that sustainability cannot be limited to the simple gesture of employing a more or less clean and ecological form of propulsion but that we must also analyze all our work as a whole.
In the Dakar Rally 2022 ASTARA TEAM will run two cars powered by a sustainable fuel of the latest generation plus a team of 16 people, two trucks and two service cars.
We want to show the world that it is possible to compete at the highest level with a minimum environmental impact and without having to make a huge investment in economic, technological and human resources.
ASTARA TEAM´s technical director Gonzalo de Andrés, said: “We have sought the best possible balance taking into account the resources at our disposal. 01 CONCEPT is a very light car and relatively easy to understand; we have found in the new synthetic fuel an amazing field of possibilities to contribute to the necessary transition of this sport and preserve the spectacle and investments.”
The analysis of all the activity will help us to understand how to approach this and other activities in a sustainable way. At the beginning and in the end of the competition we will prepare an extensive report that we will share with our sponsors, because our idea is to expand the range of study beyond the Dakar Rally 2022, explore new solutions and set even higher sustainability goals.
This accounting and reporting of the emissions of racing cars will be carried out according to standardized measurement protocols (GHG Protocol, ISO 14064 standard) and will be reviewed by an independent and reputed company.
Why measure and audit our carbon footprint
Determining the carbon footprint is an absolutely voluntary measure for most economic or social activities today. In fact, currently even large companies are not required to do so. But for us it is a first step to try to reduce or offset our GHG emissions and, at the same time, a way to show our commitment to sustainability and care for the environment.
That commitment starts for us with the use of a synthetic, ecological and sustainable fuel with zero environmental impact in the two 01 CONCEPT cars, and continues with the measurement and audit of our carbon footprint.
How the carbon footprint is measured
The carbon footprint measures the volume of greenhouse gases (GHGs) generated by the activities of an organization, a product or even an event. GHGs are, mainly, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen oxides, CFCs and ozone.
There are different protocols and ways to measure the carbon footprint, but in ASTARA TEAM we are going to use the GHG Protocol, since it is the most widespread method and is the one that has served as the basis for developing the ISO 14064 standard.
This GHG Protocol establishes 3 possible scopes when measuring the carbon footprint:
- Scope 1: direct GHG For example, emissions from combustion in boilers, furnaces, vehicles, etc., which are owned or controlled by the entity in question. It also includes fugitive emissions (e.g. air conditioning leaks, methane leaks from ducts…).
- Scope2: indirect GHG emissions associated with the generation of electricity acquired and consumed by the organization.
- Scope 3: other indirect emissions. Examples of scope 3 activities are the extraction and production of materials acquired by the organization, work trips through external parties, the transportation of raw materials, fuels and products (e.g. logistics activities) carried out by third parties or the use of products or services offered by others.
In our case, we will focus on scopes 1 and 2, that is, we will measure and report the carbon footprint derived from:
- The direct GHG emissions that come from the combustion of the fuel in the 01 CONCEPT, as well as the so-called fugitive emissions that can have their origin in leaks of different components of the cars and other consumables such as tires, lubricants, brakes …
- Indirect GHG emissions associated with the generation of electricity consumed by the equipment during all stages.
In summary, at the end of the competition a complete report of the carbon footprint generated by the two 01 CONCEPT cars will be prepared during the competition and the activities of the ASTARA TEAM in the Dakar Rally 2022.